Keep Austin Wild: 10 things to do in Austin, TX
go wild austin 2018 Jan 17, 2018
Heading to Austin, TX for GO Wild? The city's unofficial slogan is "Keep Austin Weird" but we can't wait to "Keep Austin Wild" too! Check out this list of 10 things to do in Austin from our very own llama Laken Edwards.
10 things to do in Austin, TX
By Laken Edwards
1. Eat BBQ! Texas BBQ is an experience. I’d love to recommend Franklin's or Salt Lick, if you have time to make the drive and stand in line - it’s worth it! For great BBQ nearby the conference hotel downtown check out Freedmen’s, Stiles, or Rudy’s.
2. Do something outdoorsy. Channel your inner Austinite and check out one of the amazing outdoor experiences the city has to offer. Go for a dip in the refreshing waters at Barton Springs, hang out at Zilker park, or hike to the top of Mount Bonnel and enjoy the views.
3. Eat from a food truck. Austin is home to some of the best food trucks; there are over 1,000 of them. If you’re missing NOLA, swing by Baton Creole on 6th. There is also a food truck called Llamas! For those with a sweet tooth like me, go to Gourdough’s donuts. You won’t regret it.
4. Drink a Margarita! (Virgin, for those not of age). While you’re there, eat some Tex Mex. Nearby the conference, I’d recommend Matt’s Famous El Rancho, Polvo’s, or Trudy’s. If you need someone to go with you, let me know! I’m always down for a marg on the rocks and enchiladas smothered in chili.
5. Take a picture in front of a mural. Austin has some amazing street art that make great photo ops. My favorites are “I love you so much”, the hi how are you frog, and the live musical capital of the world on 6th!
6. Go shopping on South Congress. SOCO is eclectic, hip, fashionable, and funky all combined. Not only is there great shopping, but you’ll find some of Austin’s best restaurants and bars too. If you need to cool off, grab ice cream at Amy’s! Her flavors are unique and captivating!
7. Eat a breakfast taco. Go to Torchy’s. Enough said.
8. Listen to live music! They don’t call it the live music capital of the world for nothing. The GO Wild venue is The Hilton Austin, and it's only steps away from 6th street! With a Bourbon Street vibe, you can walk down the middle of the street and soak up the energy around you – warning, you may run into rowdy (and fun?) college students. For a slightly calmer experience, check out Rainey street or 4th Street which are also very close by.
9. Admire the water. From the Colorado river to Lake Travis, there are lots of options to enjoy the views. I’d love to recommend the Oasis on Lake Travis - just a half hour from downtown. For some closer views, grab a cup of coffee and a pastry at Mozart’s or a bite to eat at Abel’s on the Lake.
10. Soak up some knowledge. As the capital of a state rich with history, Austin has lots of opportunities to enjoy it. Check out the Texas State Capital, the LBJ Presidential library, or the Bullock Texas State History Museum.